Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Costumed Figure Process Work


We took one of our gesture poses and turned it into a finished art piece. I began with this gesture. 
I began to do some quick thumbnails to figure out what kind of environment I wanted my figure to be in. I used her pose to help determine her location. I thought she might be holding a candle and leaning in to get a better look or crouching over to feed some animals.



I decided to work with the top idea and develop the composition some more. I cropped the image to help focus the viewer and cut out the unimportant parts. At this point I began to build up my value drawing. 



I had wanted to create a tense moment in with this piece, but I wasn't sure that the teddy bear would help that. To create a more dangerous feel, I tried adding in a bear skull instead. 



I then started to create some color comps. I wanted to use the color to make my image mysterious and dangerous. 






I still wasn't too happy with the feeling of the piece yet. I took some critique and developed the story more by changing the teddy bear. I felt that this change made the piece stronger and more interesting. 

I then did a color comp of this new composition. Instead of the classic red for danger, I used the green to make it more unnatural to mimic the weirdness of the living teddy bear.


I liked the feeling of this comp so I decided to take this to a finish. I polished up the edges and made some changes for clarity. 



No comments:

Post a Comment